A Collection of
Reflections,
Memories

and Celebrations

for John's 60th Birthday

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Honey Meade and Strawberry Fields ... (Paul Knibb)


Here is a collage of stories about from my old and bad memory.  

There's so many things to say, I don't know where to start.  

Back in our high school days, when I met John, my musical preference was commercial rock (Beatles, top 40, etc.).  Now I still believe the Beatles are the best band ever, but John & Jim Aikenhead exposed me to music that was altogether new to me.  As this was the time when FM radio was just coming to be, John was the guy who introduced me to the "blues" and then other groups like Jethro Tull, Santana and Taj Mahal.  I give John credit for expanding my musical knowledge and actually making me a better guitar player and musician.

Here is another episode ....  this is hard to put into words that folks can appreciate however ....  a lot of our Friday and Saturday nights consisted of securing our favourite beverages.  Our usual choice was Ruby Rouge ($1.99 for a huge bottle), but if I remember, Johns choice was Honey Meade wine.  We were at my parents house drinking ,eating pizza (from Corner Pizza) and later on in the night, it appeared that John had "fallen asleep" in my dad's rocking chair.  Now, he had this bottle of almost empty Honey Meade wine and I didn't want him to spill it.  When we reached over to take the wine, John's hand clenched around the bottle and he wouldn't give it up.  The thing is ....  he was still asleep!!! I guess you really had to be there.
Strawberry Fields Concert, Mossport, 1970

Hey John, do you remember the Santana concert at Massey Hall (we started a band because of that)  .... and do you remember driving to Greek Town on the Danforth for Souvlaki & Greek salad  ....  

AND do you remember my parents driving us to the Strawberry Field rock weekend at Mosport !!!



So many great memories, man,  

HAVE A GREAT 60TH NATAL DAY.

Cheers
Paul Knibb




1 comment:

  1. You went to Strawberry Fields? My parents refused to let me go for the weekend -- and I listened to them.

    Dave and Chris Brown and I drove up one afternoon and wandered around for a couple of hours but it was too early for the good music so we returned home in time for dinner. Looking at that lineup, I now realize that I hate my parents.

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete