A Collection of
Reflections,
Memories

and Celebrations

for John's 60th Birthday

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Enabler of Ukulele Addictions (Jim Yates)

This, to the best of my recollection, is how I met John.

Sometime in the past I bought a stack of sheet music at a flea market with some ukulele arrangements by someone called May Singhi Breen. At that time I knew very little about ukuleles, in fact, I thought of them as toys or poor man's guitars.

 I decided to ask on a uke website about May Singhi Breen and was promptly answered by John, who knew all about her and, it seemed, anything to do with ukes. We entered into a correspondence and my interest in ukes was peaked.

 Soon after, I found a Johnny Marvin uke with an airplane bridge (the one on John's left shoulder in Lorraine's famous photo of him with the two ukes) in an antique shop in Port Hope and told John about it. He decided it was worth the trip from Bobcaygeon to Port Hope and we finally met face to face over breakfast at the Rainbow Cafe.

 Needless to say, John got a new old uke and I got a new friend. Before too long I also got a ukulele. Then I got another ukulele and then I got a banjolele... I blame this all on you John.

 Happy birthday. I wish I were sixty again.

Jim Yates

No comments:

Post a Comment